Yesterday someone asked me for a Yoga book recommendation. So I decided
to make a short personal review about all the books that came into my life
in the last years. So this is what I can recommend:
These authors have been shaping my my personal yoga / life philosophy.
Wow, it became a top 36 list!
- Rod Stryker – The Four Desires – Relax into your Greatness my dear.
- Elena Brower – The Art of Attention – a beautiful artistic yoga book with a few asana sequences
- before I forget: mine of course – Stefanie Honeder – Heartbeat A Yoga Symphony Mixtape – a poetical interpretation of the yoga of sound to listen to your intuition, the whispers that guide you to live your own creative life.
- Derek Beres – The Warrior’s Path: Living Yoga’s ten Codes – New School – Derek Beres bridging old wisdom with modern life
- Derek Beres – Sound Against Flame New School – about the power of SOUND / Nada Yoga, how music connects us all worldwide
- Derek Beres – Global Beat Fusion: The History of the Future of Music New School – about the power of SOUND / Nada Yoga, how music connects us all worldwide
- Matthew Remski – Threads of Yoga: A Remix of Patanjali-s Sutras-s, with Commentary and Reverie New School – Matthew Remski connects yoga philosophy with a deep research connecting old wisdom with modern philosophy and psychotherapy, ancient texts into a revitalized form for our modern world
- Matthew Remski – Yoga 2.0 -Shamanic Echoes – New School blending ancient wisdom with modern thoughts and approaches
- Joachim Ernest Berendt – The World Is Sound: NADA Brahma: Music and the Landscape of Consciousness – Nada Yoga – The Power of Sound – well, there is a bigger force connecting us all, about the power of sound/music
- Vanda Scaravelli – Awakening the Spine – beautiful layout, short texts, fascinated that even plants help each other in the evolutionary process, Take care of your spine my dear!
- Baptist de Pape – The Power of the Heart. Finding Your True Purpose – Bhakti Yoga – Why our heart is super-intelligent; Follow your Heart!
- Ronald Alexander – Wise Mind, Open Mind: Finding Purpose & Meaning in Times of Crisis, Loss & Change – Why meditation helps us to find new solutions and approaches towards life. Meditation equals Creativity!
- Judith Hanson Lasater – Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life – The Yoga Sutras connected to everyday life.
- Christopher Sartain – The Sacred Science of Yoga & The Five Koshas – good desription about the Koshas, various layers of our SELF.
- David Lynch – Catching the Big Fish: Meditation, Consciousness, and Creativity – Easy to read, quotation-style about Meditation and the Creative Process. Meditation equals Creativity! & Why everything falls into its place in the end, when we catch the Big Fish!
- Anodea Judith – Wheels Of Life – Insights about the Chakras
- Douglas Brooks – Poised for Grace – Philosophy, Non-Dual
- Gary Zukav – The Seat of the Soul – Why Your Soul has incredible answers and you should trust those whispers of your soul!
- Ram Dass – Be Here Now – a beautiful artistic poetical work: be here now
- Christina Sell – My Body is a Temple: Yoga as a Path to Wholeness – Why Yoga helps us to find our home in our body.
- Steve Ross – Happy Yoga: 7 Reasons Why There Is Nothing to Worry About – New School – easy going, easy philosophy intro into the yoga world
- Em Claire – Home Remembers Me: – beautiful poems
- Desikachar – The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice – individual humans means individual practice
- Anna Trökes – Neuro – Yoga – Anna Trökes offers a research about yoga and its effects on our brain and neurolgy.
- Iyengar – Light On Yoga – old school classic – yoga philosophy in an elegant way
- Iyengar – Light On The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali old school classic – Patanjali’s interpretations
- Iyengar – The Tree Of Yoga: The Definite Guide to Yoga in Everyday Life – old school classic – yoga philosophy in an elegant way
- Sally Kempton – Awakening Shakti: The Transformative Power of the Goddesses of Yoga – for the ladies, but also for men about symbolic use and ideas of “goddesses” in the practice
- Bernie Clarke, Sarah Powers – The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga – all about Yin Yoga
- Judith Lasater – Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times – all about Restorative Yoga. Deep Relaxation with many bolsters and blankets
- KRS One – The Gospel of Hip Hop: The First Instrument – kind of a Hip Hop Version of Yoga Sutras, about the process of self-knowledge, health and the power of music
- Ram Chandra – Reality at Dawn – Raja Yoga: Meditation creates a different Reality: Peace and Freedom
- Alan Watts – The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are – self knowledge, self inquiry
- Carol Horton, Roseanne Harvey – 21st Century Yoga: Culture, Politics and Practice – Ancient texts need to adjust to a modern world, a lot of bullshit is happening & a lot of good stuff happening…Run away, if you feel manipulated in any Yoga Class!
- Debra Diamon, David Gordon White, – Oh a really heavy book with beautiful ancient images and a good overview of all the ages
- Hari Kirin Kaur Khalsa – Art&Yoga – a nice book about Creativity and Yoga based on Kundalini Yoga, good material for kids I would say